Friday, October 3, 2014

iToons Tarot 06-19-12

Getting back (slowly) to writing. The Journey.
This is just writing to write. Not specifically part of "Cohalen's Journey" but a step towards continuation and completion.
iToons Tarot
06/19/12
Methodology - Random selection from my iTunes to determine the selection of the "Tarot".
What does each song reveal and how do they connect (if at all) to each other?
1) Big Brother and the Holding Company - Summertime
The slow sultry guitar; the intro builds - organically…and then – Janis -
Belting it out with a soul to raise up Big Mamma Thornton for the masses.
“One of these mornings, you’re gonna rise up singing”. Resurrection.
2) Leon Russell – Roll Away the Stone
Sacrilege? And on the third day, first side, fourth cut – Leon Rocks it out with his – shout out!
Raucous. Pounding. That slinky Guitar (Marc Benno?)
"Roll away the stone (Jesus, Really?) Don’t leave me here all alone.
Resurrect me, and protect me. Don’t leave me layin’ here
What will they do in 2000 years?"
NWJWD, I’m guessing.
3) Jude Cole – Compared to Nothing
Soulful. Haunting. Lonely. Piano like Sunday morning church.
A lost soul with questions. Universal questions with no answers. As they were meant to be.
“Problems that appeared so tall, turn out to be so small – compared to nothing….at all."
Oblivion. Nirvana.
4) Martin Mull - Jesus is Easy
“I tried a poodle, a collie, Kooklah, Fran and Ollie.
But Mary in a Manger got me satisfied”
Martin Mull’s irreverent comedy talks to the proliferation of every kind of religious – Self-Help – new age sects that are so omni-present in our land.
“Oh, I tell ya they got churches….everywhere!”
Mull sings at the end.
5) Skycycle – Alone
“Your sea of friends becomes a desert. All so you could be Alone”
A brooding song about a self-fulfilling prophecy of choosing to be alone.
‘Every tie you make, you sever. Somehow it makes you feel better.”
The theme is religion and the Big questions it’s supposed to help with but only seems to provide cookie cutter answers. As I drove across the country last year I remember seeing churches of every kind in the most remote back roads and on radio frequencies where nothing else could be found. You couldn’t find a 7-11 for miles, but there would be a little church with a white steeple or a sign on a trailer or some dime story preacher huckstering on the airwaves for funds to help spread his godless words of god and hate and bigotry and fear and damnation. Not comfort or joy. Though, in Dothan, Al., I heard a preacher using stand-up comedy to get his word across. (Pretty funny, too) It was open and joyful and welcoming and not too preachy for the most part. I could have listened to a lot more like that on the road.
A final “card” of the jukebox bid my attention.
6) Cat Stevens (Yusuf Islam aka Steven Demetre Georgiou) – I think I see the light.
A childlike piano repetition. The song lyrics are about a girl changing the singer’s perspective, but with the substitution of the word “lord” for “girl” the song could easily be a religious/spiritual song.
Regardless, the result seems to be one of conversion from a dour lonely alone soul to one connected and enlightened.
“I think I see the light coming to me,
Coming through me, giving me a second sight.
So shine, shine, shine”

No comments: