Thursday, October 2, 2014

05-30-11 Oh, What a Night

05-30-11

Memorial Day

65.2 Miles

It’s Memorial Day and there have been storm warnings on my Weather Channel Desktop app and on the radio.  It’s hot and humid and windy. It’s barely 9 am and someone from the park comes by to remind me tht this morning they are serving pancakes and sausage in the office building until noon. I go by but only stay for a plates worth and pass up socializing as Mischa is not invited and is barking her head off in the car. I decide to take the opportunity I realized last night and go on a three state tour…after going to see the USS South Dakota Memorial. Nothing like exploring an old Battleship. The last time I did so was when I lived in Wilmington, NC. I’m not sure if it was the USS North Carolina or if it had some other designation, but this was an active duty ship in port for the locals to explore. It was quite a memorable experience. We had a guided tour and had to watch our heads around the bulkheads. I remember that I was amased at how small the galley was to feed the entire ship. There was barely room for our group of 10 or so to fit in, much less move around. I felt sorry immediately for the galley crew.
Ironically, the street I’m on it the same threet the USS South Dakota Memorial is on (as well as the old downtown) I drive along and wonder where they have the ship moored? I approach the bridge over the Big Sioux River and my Garmin is telling me that it is Just ahead. I nearly overshoot it. It’s not a ship at all. It’s a Park! With the (I’m sure scale) outlines and buildings and ship parts tht give the dimensions of the ship. I feel let down and cheated. Hardly anyone is there.
A few hours earlier I had heard and seen jets flying over head at the camp coming from the direction of the Memorial. I have envisioned a big Memorial Day Ceremony with people and speeches…but it must not have been here.
I walk around with Mischa taking pictures.  See leaves a few comments of here own about the place and we  leave. I head first on a wild goose chase around Sioux Falls using my Garmin to try to find Pet or feed stores to try to find Mischa her Dogswell snacks. She has been without for about 5 or 6 states now. Even when I find the location it is invariably closed (It IS Memorial  Day after all). I decide to take my 3 state tour.
I look up a town along 90 in Minnesota and  set my course to a random fast food place there. As I pass by the outer rhelmes of Bandon I see a sign for a Welcome Center/rest area in Minnesota. I stop there and stock up. A wonderfully helpful attendant named Barrie (Or Berrie, I only heard it, I’m not sure how she sells it) gave me unimagined destination and pathway options for my journey through Minnesota in 3 weeks. I left feeling my purpose in Minnesota completed and took here directions for the quickest path into Iowa (again). The sky by this time was looking hazy from the high winds and the radio had been giving frequent announcements of the Tornado watch and warnings for SW Minnesota and  mid SE South Dakota (Where I’m staying). The watch is until 9pm tonight and I think it’s about time to head back to the tent.
The path along 9 leads us back into South Dakota (without so much as a welcome sign!) It takes us back into old downtown Sioux Falls  which is by far my best impression of the city to this point. It is old buildings and some interesting and contemporary types of businesses. It seems to be a thriving part of the city and not so much the run down parts I’d already experienced with need for road repair and tractor dealers on many city blocks.
 We follow 9 and it urns into  12th street…amazing…all roads (in my case) lead back to Tower Campground.
I get back to the tent and the winds are powerful now. I’m online in my tent and the evening goes something like this:

(From Facebook posts)

Tornado Watch!

Rik converse

I'm in my tent in Sioux Falls, SD which is under a tornado watch until 9pm my time (It's 8:15 now). If Mischa and I go flying off to OZ - It was nice knowin' y'all!
Monday at 7:19pm



Linda Rogas Hanowell I'll pray for safety!!Monday at 7:35

Rick Clark Dude, you shouldn't be in a tent. Can you get under a strong bridge or something? (Freeway overpass?) If a tornado comes, get up under the "rafters" with the pigeons.Monday at 7:42pm

Jenn Anderson come to oz! my aus. :)Monday at 8:01pm

Rik Converse Being under a bridge or underpass is worse than being in my car or tent according to the experts. I should find a ditch and lie as flat as possible with my arms covering my eyes. Difficult if I'm protecting my dog Mischa too. it's only a Tornado Watch, not a warning. and it's only on till 9 pm...(what's that? It was extended till 2am? are you F...in' kidding me?!) I'll check where the nearest brick buildings and storm shelters are...Monday at 8:02pm

Rik Converse Would love to Jenn! (And these winds just might be strong enough to do the trick, too!)Monday at 8:03pm

Rik Converse The Weather Channel radar map shows a squall line approaching this city (down to Nebraska and up to North Dakota) Looks like a firggin Tsunami!Monday at 8:06pm

Rik Converse And I was going to try to write tonight...The first flecks of rain have just arrived.Monday at 8:08pm

Rik Converse Talk about "Riding the Storm Out"!Monday at 8:08pm

Diana Thompson Ragland Be carefuk and let us know it is over!Monday at 9:04pm

Rik Converse Hopefully I'[ll be asleep by them. Then being 2amMonday at 9:08pm

Rik Converse The main force is supposed to hit this area around 11:15 and be just rain around 1am.Monday at 9:10pm

Diana Thompson Ragland ok! Be thinking about you traveling to oz if I am awake!Monday at 9:12pm
Debbie Huston Miller You really need to drive to some sort of shelter. Worried about you and Mischa.Monday at 10:14pm
Rik Converse The worst of it just passed us by. A big jet plane just went over head going the opposite direction of the storm. It's Minnesota's worry now.Monday at 10:22pm

Diana Thompson Ragland YAY!Monday at 10:23pm

Debbie Huston Miller Good. I didn't think a tent or a car would be safe enough. Seems like you have done nothing but battle the storms! Take care.Monday at 10:27pm

Rik Converse Now Let's all get some sleep.Monday at 10:27pm

Rik Converse ?"Morning has broken" and Mischa and I are still here and doing fine. It was around 85 degrees last night and it's 55 degrees now. From Summer to Spring in hours. Wow. As Elvis sang "What a night".Tuesday at 6:48am

Diana Thompson Ragland Yay! Glad both of you made it!Tuesday at 8:11am

Bob Mlagenovich Glad you're still her with us Rik ! I hear Oz is a pretty cool place but the ride is a nightmare !Tuesday at 9:23am

Joel Broude You must begin preparing for the next one by training Mischa to cover her eyes.Tuesday at 5:09pm

Rik Converse She already has that move down...but not on command!Tuesday at 7:29pm



And

Cindy O'Neill Jaeger via The Weather Channel and weather.com For Rik
Overnight severe threat www.weather.com

Rik Converse Don't I know it!Monday at 8:31pm


Diana Thompson Ragland Keep dry ik!Monday at 9:01pm

Rik Converse And the Big Sioux River about 2 miles east of me is on Flood warning. This will put it over!Monday at 9:20pm

Jeff Powell Rik, go to another country, you keep bringing major storms to wherever you visit ! Just kidding, be well and safeMonday at 9:36pm

Rik Converse Seems like if I mskr it through the next 30 minutes...I'll be ok according to the weather channel projections.Monday at 9:50pm

Cindy O'Neill Jaeger It's been more than 30 minutes; we need an update!Tuesday at 5:26am

Rik Converse Jeff - sorry...I just saw that my post had been repeated 3 times. (I deleted the extras)Tuesday at 6:51am

Rik Converse Cindy - Sorry...Mischa & I are fine. It's morning -chilly but sunny and dry. I'll be heading west towards the Badlands and most likely the Mountain Time zone 200 - 300 miles of driving today. And a wind advisory just came up. Will it be a Bob Seger Against the Wind?
Tuesday at 6:54am

Candace Ohmer funnyTuesday at 10:18am




No comments: