Wednesday, October 1, 2014

03-01-11 Sweet Home Alabama

03-01-11
Sweet Home Alabama
Where the skies are so blue
173 miles
I started the morning in Mississippi and in less than an hour of driving I was in Alabama.
The “Plan” was to drive north of Atmore to Little River State Forest. Honest.
But my car (and curiosity) took me east and through downtown Mobile along the 10 instead of going north on the 65 toward Montgomery.
I could always go north later I presumed (and it was true)!
B ut going across the Mobile Bay I saw a sign that said “Meaher State Park”…and I followed it.
Right on the water. I presumed the price would be high. Out of my dwindling resources. (I’m down to under $37.00 now).
I asked the kid at the booth anyway. “$10.60 a night”.
I couldn’t believe it.
It was the rate of a primitive site but since the place didn’t have wifi and I had a water jug in the car I didn’t need water or electricity. (I had a full jug still).
So I said “Yes, I’d like to stay here1”
He sent me down past the fence to set up camping.
When I got down there, there were only three picnic tables. No fire rings at all. Really primitive!
I drove back and asked if I misunderstood where the sites were.
He first told me that I could camp at the sites near the kiosk he was tending that had water and electricity for only $22.
I said, “What about the primitive sites? You said they had firepits. There are only 3 benches there!”
He though the pits were there and drove down with me to inspect the location.
No fire rings or pits.
He said I could camp at the place near the fron he’d mentioned for the primitive rate of $10.60 per night (I could even use the electricity - he wouldn’t charge me.)
He (Brent) explained they’d just relocated the tent sites up front with electric & water but had presumed the fire pits were still at the old site.
I was grateful to find a beautiful place to camp at less than I was planning to pay. One problem. They only took cash or check, no credit cards.
Thre account I had checks in only had $7.00!
The account I had enough money in to write checks on, I had no checks left. US Bank gave me 3 temp checks that I’d used up camping in New Mexico (Thanks Trevor!). The regular checks I’d ordered in Las Vegas the first week of my Journey still hadn’t arrived.
I was referred to a supermarket in Spanish Fort called Bruno’s and I found it very nice and upscale. I got a “3 piece chicken snack” with fries (potato wedges) and biscuit (dinner roll) for $3.99. I got $15 cash back on my US Bank card to pay for the night’s stay and then got directions to a McDonald’s or Starbucks to go online. What luck they were diagonally across the street from each other. I went to the McDonalds first as it was on my side of the road. The McDonalds didn’t work. I was getting a signal, but it said “Waypoint” instead of McDonalds [note - I later learned that “Waypoint IS the McDonalds wifi listing but for some reason as happened at many other locations…I just couldn’t get on.] There was a LaQuina Inn behind it and I’m guessing it was overpowering the McDOnalds signal. Since I didn’t have a password and wasn’t staying at the Inn…I couldn’t get in. Happily for me the Starbucks across the street did work and I was able to get in and post two recent days worth of the Journey.
Coming back I paid for my stay and set up camp. I took Mischa for a stroll along the fishing pier noticing the :Don’t feed the Alligators” sign. And took a few pictures.
A beautiful spot. A beautiful sunset as I write this.
But during our return from our walk on the pier, Mischa stopped unexpectedly to relieve herself making me stop at the end of the leash’s span.
There, in front of me on the ground - three pennies. So far, this trip, noticing things below my normal vision - at me feet - has always been a fortunate thing. The penny by my car on my Winnemucca to Wendover day; the Heart Shaped Stone in Las Cruces - and today. What could the three pennies portend?I went back to our table to plot driving/camping possibilities for the next two weeks before heading to Florida. Alabama to Georgia to Florida to South Carolina.
Screwy geography to be sure.
Alabama: Dothan - Montgomery Area - Tuskegee if possible, then up 85 to Atlanta. Then south to Macon? Side trip to Statesboro, then Savannah and south to Jekyel Island? Straight to Jacksonville? And then Orlando for a few days then to Destin? (which is an indy, the plan is set. I start my visit tomorrow. This will serve many good purposes as I’ll be out of a tent for 2-4 days. I’ll have a chance to type a lot of my journals entries on her work days and solicit more benefactors - supporters and subscribers. I’m down to less thatn$37 and a quarter tank of gas. Maybe I could learn to use Skype for interviews.
Tools needed: fix/replace micro cassette recorder; acquire handheld digital camcorder w/USB connection; get replacement battery for netbook, this battery won’t hold charge and I need to be free to write/type without being “plugged in”.
And a plug in car cooler/fridge would save money buying bags of ice as well as saving on spoiled food. And now that my food stamps are cut off, bags of ice are a luxury item.
1am, time to sleep.
Tomorrow: Break camp, go past Spanish Fort to Daphne and the Starbucks for internet access - then on to Destin!

No comments: