Wednesday, October 1, 2014

04-03-11 This land is your land, this land is my land

04-03-11
“This land is your land, this land is my land”
327 Miles
“This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the Redwood Forests, to the Gulf Stream Waters
This land was made for you and me”
And I’ve been seeing it…why haven’t you? There are State Parks and National Parks and County and even City parks that every one of you can go and camp or just be a day tripper in. I bet there’s one within 25 miles of all of you. And the majority of people don’t even use tents anymore. It’s RV’s or renting cabins. There is some pretty amazing country out here.
And Like I said, I’ve been seeing it…and you haven’t Pthwffftt! (ßBronk’s cheer!)
Have I been hired by the National Parks Association? No. I’ve just been driving by and thru and camping in some of the most wonderful awe inspiring places and wanted to shout like Walt Whitman about our magnificent land. I want to rouse you from your lethargy and say “It’s out there and accessible and YOU’RE MISSING IT!!! Don’t let the chance to see and really experience the grandeur of this country. What politicians speak of but really seldom really know. Be a part of this country rather than apart from this country.
I started to find the Blue Ridge parkway by heading south from my campgrounds up the hill as I was told I would find it. And find it I did. About 300 feet of it. For the parkway was closed off at that point. Maybe if you had 10 cars in traffic distance that was the extent I could drive along it. So back the other way through Waynesville (excellent) and instead of heading the safe route to 40 I chose to seek out the Blue Ridge Parkway yet again (Can’t let John Fogerty down, now can I?) I found it and followed it up and down mountainsides with magnificent vistas and tunnels and I ended at it’s beginning at the foot of the Big Smokey Mountains. I took the road that lead thru them and would lead me to Newfound Gap which is the dividing line between North Carolina & Tennessee and also gave me the opportunity to do something the Governor of South Carolina had inspired me to want to do “Hike the Ol’ Appalachian Trail” thought I think I may have gotten closer that he did. (Though his version may have been more fun!) And I have pictures too!
Then it was down the Tennessee side. And friends, let me tell you, the moment I started on that downhill side, the Tennessee side, I was a little humbled that I was starting the week of my 12th state. I’m ¼ of the way thru this journey! I celebrate the little moments when I can. Mischa doesn’t really get it.
I come to a fork where I can go thru Gattlingberg or bypass it on to Pidgeon Forge (home of Dollywood). I choose poorly. I go thru Gattlingberg! Don’t get me wrong - it’s a beautiful quaint little tourist trap! Much more of a ski town and smaller than Pidgeon Forge (with three lanes in each direction reminding me of Orlando or Anaheim near The Disney compounds.) I want to get to I-40 and past Knoxville (which seemed to never end - Big City) and out towards Gallatin, Lebanon or anyplace I can camp west of the Central/Eastern Time line. I find a spot that I think might work, but decide I want to get as far as I can as I’m running low on gas and money for camping. I have an appointment to meet someone on Tuesday and I don’t want to fall short. Everything is one day at a time now. I find an off ramp that has tow of the places I’m looking to go. Cedars of Lebanon to the south, Bledsoe State Park north. Bledsoe is 23 miles and Cedars is 8. I choose Cedars…at least for the night. I thought the time change would work in my favor, and it did, the park office was open when I got there and I could use my debit card rather than try to get cash back from a convenience store to pay for the space. But the time works against me in that I’m an hour more exhausted than I feel I should be.
Pthwffft! Says my body.
My body knows!

No comments: