Wednesday, October 1, 2014

02-05-11 Stand in the place where you are

02-05-11
Stand in the place where you are
Think about direction, wonder why you haven’t before
15.4 miles
The Goldfield campground was satisfactory but a little “unattended”.
For all I know I could have camped there for free for all the attention they gave me.
I discovered on my own that they actually Had restroom facilities and that those included showers too!
At my site someone had left: a plastic lounge chair; a two point ottoman/stool; an old pot; some rebar and a partially burnt piece of plywood (say 3x5x1).
But it had a firepit and a picnic table (many of the other sites did not.) I got going slow, partially due to it having been another cold night, but also just being tired of constant moving. I took a good amount of time re-packing things and in the process discovered I wasn’t going to stay for another night. I realized this as I started taking down the tent. Having already re=packed the car with only the tent remaining I had no idea where I was going to go, only that I was going.
I had misplaced the list of other sites the Lost Dutchman State park had given me the night before (most likely “properly” packed away) so I went bck to them for another one.
I was informed that they now had room in overflow but I was determined to check out the other places before making my choice. It was only 11 am and I waas sure I could get a good idea before things began to cool off after 3pm.
Continuing NE from Lost Dutchman SP were two places 11 & 13 miles away on 88.. The first was called Canyon Lakes Marina. The idea of a marina anywhere east of Apache junction was intriguing. Winding up into the mountains along twisty roads that brought to mind Trabuco Canyon in my High School days or Highway 17 between Scotts Valley nad Los Gatos. A magnificent desert chaparral vista opened up upon creating the initial climb. Huge cliff faces in the distances with miles of Saguaro and moss like lichens ; carved rocks/mountainsides. Like a John Ford movie covered in mold.
Winding downward and somewhat southeast there is suddenly a turn out “Canyon Lake Vista”, but the road curves away from it. You then drive around a hillside and descend to the lake. Like a miniature Lake Powell, it is picturesque and soothing. You are made aware of the upcoming “One Way Bridge”. This one is made of metal grating. I’m sure the water of the lake would be visible through it if I were not driving the car. “Hey, Meesh. What’s it look like?”
There is a day use site on the other side of the bridge and people are playing volleyball. Furthur on an RV site. Another “One Lane Bridge” sign. This one is solid Concrete. It leads to the Canyon Lake Marina campsite. Looks nice, but not for me. $25/night. I continue for the last three miles to the Tortilla Flats campsite run by the Tonto Forest Service.
The road starts winding up in elevation and that’s a concern of temperature. Radio reception comes and goes but is pretty good as I start to descend again and see off to my right below me an organized looking camping area that I am Hoping is my destination. Ahead as the road bends there looks to be some touristy businesses, or biker bars (or both!)
Just at the turn before approaching the businesses on the right is the turn off to the left for the camp.
I am happily surprised. All the sites are well ground dirt/gravel sites with tables and firepits and water spigots! Very nicely populated but still lots of space to choose from. I still have my Tonto pass from my first night in the Phoenix area so no additional cost for me! I stop by the Camp Host to get the way things work and info on local resources.
Can I buy more passes at the local town”
“Yes, at the Ice Cream Store”.
Will they be playing the Superbowl there?
“Yes…and here at the Ramada”
(She indicates a steel metal shelter next to her campsite.)
“We’ll have a 32” screen and will be providing Chili and some food.”
Can I bring my dog?
“If he’s well behaved and on a leash, it should be ok.”
Heaven. Is this heaven? No, It’s tortilla Flats…
I may be here thru Wednesday.
The price is right and it’s a beautiful spot.
It’s too bad the cell reception here sucks and there’s not Internet access, but town is only 15 miles away. Not bad!
After I get the tent set up I meet John, the assistant camp host. He tells me that every Saturday night (today) about 4pm (it’s 4:02pm) the camp hosts a pot luck and I’m welcome to join it.
Is this place for real?
It’s not just a campsite - It’s “CAMP”!
Bring the marshmellows!
There were about 14-15 humans and two dogs (Mischa and “Dr. Watson”).
Slaw and penne pasta with chicken salads; deviled eggs; artichoke hearts; some chicken; an amazing rice and cinnamon dessert dish and homemade snicker doodle cookies!
Some interesting people: Gwenith and Tom (and Dr. Watson); a couple from Montana; Bill, a guy fropm Maine who had been here for a couple of months apparently; Bruce (of the snickerdoodles) who had a stroke sometime back - I’m told he’d motorcycled around the entire US years ago. There are others and the two sets of camp hosts. It was a really great evening and great way to start my stay. I also liked that the place shares the name of a Steinbeck book. I take my omens where I can find them. This was pretty good!

No comments: