Thursday, October 2, 2014

04-19-11 - You are like a hurricane

04-19-11
You are like a hurricane
There’s calm in your eye
66.7 miles
On the way out of Petit Jean State Park I come upon an overlook at the western edge of the parklands. It is a glorious vista. Across a valley you can see the high flagstone escarpments of the opposite mountin. It is lush greenery below with the sound of a rapid river moving below the tree line. I mention on the video I shoot that I don’t believe it is the Arkansas River and in this I find later I was correct. It was the Petit Jean River I discover as I cross it on my way to Pontoon - Centerville and ultimately Russellville.
Around Centerville I’m nearly run down by a white Pickup truck as it races ahead going at least 80 mph on a 55 mph road. A I turn the curve I see the truck pulling into a High School Parking lot. I look at my watch, it is 8:05. Late raiser, I presume. (he was still a jerk!)
I try to determine my path for the day. I want to get into camp that may be secure from the impending thunderstorms and stay for at lest two days and make headway on my writing.
I decide to go to Devil’s Den, up the 540 near the state border. Perhaps I’ll stay the whole week there. It’s a state park but they have Class D sites for $11.00 night
As I drive west I see a sign approaching Clarksville that says Spadra Park, I get off to see what’s available here as it’s getting close to 3pm and the 540 turnoff is still 55 miles away, no telling how far to the Devil’s Den site.
I look at two sites nearby: One a national forrest site called Horsehead lake - It’s up in the mountains about 22 miles away but is only $10 night. The other is Spadra, an Army Corp of Engineers site that I find is $16/night but is only 3 miles from town. And it’s a beautiful spot right on the Arkansas River. I choose Beauty AND convenience.
I get some previsions as well as money for two nights stay and return. I’ve bought a new tarp to create either a rain shed or a windbreak. The trees are not cooperating for a rain shed, so I go for the windbreak. I test the prevailing winds and set it up. It’s working good as the wind is ruffling the tarp around like a rag doll but leaving my tent in relative peace.
The wind starts getting serious and I notice it has shifted directions. Instead of coming to the side of the tent is is now coming straight off water and towards the front of my tent. I wrestle with the tarp taking it down from the tree’s it has been bungeed to and moving it in front of my tent. I get it attached in gale force winds and it’s being tossed around like the phrase “what American’s want” by republican politicians. Wantonly and with careless disregard and abandon.
I finally secure the last stay and get into the tent.
A second later the tent is being pushed into - by the tarp and the raging winds.
I get out of the tent and try to re-secure the tarp. The bungee’s are still in place - the tarp has been ripped off with the grommets still on the trees. I grab the flailing tarp end lashing about like a wicked tongue and wind it around the tree it remains attached to knowing the wind wil keep it in place.
I turn My attention to the tent. The fly must be removed before it flies off. I get it disconnected and notice the right flap is ripped along the seem as the stake still held it in place. With the fly off and shoved into the tent the pressure on the tent is less, but he wind is coming straight at it. I remove the front legs to lower the profile. Mischa is not too sure of this stratagem but stays patiently in place at the back left side of the tent on her bed.
If I lift the front up just a bit the wind holds the tent aloft and open, but as the wind ebbs and flows it is like a hovercraft with a novice driver. I take the opportunity to get my camera and realize that it (the wind) is easy to move thru on my own. It’s only any device that is “sail” like in design that has a problem staying earthbound.
I get back in the tent and at times lay it flat over us.
As suddenly as it started it has passed us by.
I put the fron legs back in place and inspect the damage. There is a “Pavillion” over near the restrooms and some tiles in the center have been bend straight back.
There is an underserved feeling of relief as people survey the damage. One of the hosts had their awning ripped up the the top of their RV. But that seems the worst of it.
There is a rainbow to the southeast. But a Clarksville police officer drives by checking on us and saying we’re not out of the wood yet. There is a Tornado warning until 10:30 pm and Thunder and rain warning until 2:30 am
I look at the sky and it suddenly has gotten darker and more ominous looking. I really don’t want to sleep in the car again, but discretion is the better part of valor, I pack up the tent.
And wait.
I see thunder and lightning to the west and south of my position.
I listen to the radio which is reporting the storm in Little Rock. It seems chaotic.
Reports of funnel clouds touching down east of Little Rock in Lonoak and I keep listening for reports nearer to me in the western part of Arkansas. I try to sleep after 10:30 has passed (That was one of the warning times for western Arkansas.
For some reason I wake around 2am. (a car or train moving by the camp.) and I check the radio for any news. It hasn’t rained. I think - if there’s no storm by 2:30, I’m putting the tent back up and getting whatever sleep I can - lying down!
And at 2:18 it starts to rain…of course.
It’s just drizzle really and over fast, but I mean, CMON!!!
2:30 I put the tent up in the dark.
I load bare essentials in.
I move Mischa in.
I go to sleep
A Train comes by blasts it’s horn.
3:30 am
And 4am
And C’MON!!!

No comments: