Wednesday, October 1, 2014

02-14-11 - Couldn’t argue.

02-14-11
How come I’m in a spaceship talking to aliens about my act?
They said “we’d rather talk physics, but you’re illiterate there.”
Couldn’t argue.
70.3 miles
Valentines Day!
The night was warmer then the last three but a constant light wind kept fondling my tent all night like a high school freshman trying to get to second base with his first date.
The assault subsided at dawn. Perhaps it was the West Texas wind reminding me I should have been there yesterday or the nearly full moon mocking me at my campsite.
It’s 7:29 am and I’m still waiting for direct sunlight to play upon my tent flaps. Then the day will begin.
The Netbook should be there!
It Must be there!
So much depends on it.
With my funds nearly depleted, I need to show people what the last tow months have been about. The places I’ve seen; the people I’ve met.
7:33am Sunlight on the tent. Time to get moving!
Disaster. Nothing at the Post Office and I can’t get my niece to return my calls.
I leave New Mexico whether the Newbook is here in the morning or not.
I called Phil Bonnington to see if he could take Mischa & In in for a night or two. No reply yet.
If he calls, I’ll head north out of Roswell along the 70 to the 60 east at Clovis and into Texas heading to Amirillo. If not, It’s south to la Mesa where I can camp for the night for free (According to the AAA Campbook) at Forrest Park.
The path will be 282 south out of Roswell to Artesia, then east on the 82 thru Hobbs into La Mesa.
114 miles approximately to the Texas Border and then what ever mileage to La Mesa.
Looks lie I won’t have the chance to try the Green Chili Stew that Jeff Powell suggested or the Soapapilla’s that Cindy Jaeger mentioned I should try while in New Mexico.
I may leave the state without an Interview too.
It’s been a disappointing and often depressing five days in New Mexico. Not it’s fault, Just circumstances.
Flash! Got a call from Ruane at 3:56pm! I got the tracking number info and there was a guarantee of delivery by no later than 5pm Today! (Monday)!
After I get all the details I FLY to the post office just to be sure I get the Netbook tonight! Do the y close at 5pm> Will I get there in time. Will the same clerks who said the mail only comes in in the mornings say it’s not there?
I get there, wait an ETERNITY in line and get up to the clerk and say “I’m expecting something care of general delivery - it’s guaranteed by 5pm” I add.
Here’s your package sir!
I carry it out like it’s the Holy Grail, Like it’s a new born child; like it’s Charlie Bucket’s golden ticket.
Like it’s - The Maltese Falcon - “The stuff that Dreams are made of.”
I unpack it in the car…just to be sure. I drive back to camp like a kid with a Christmas present. Can’t wait to play with it. I realize I won’t be able to get on the internet out here, but I can write.
The rest of the day is discovery…and typing.
I have that fire tonight too!
PS I don’t know if I posted it earlier, but one of those nights I woke up to the mysterious rhythmic sounds I also took the opportunity to apply liquid sustenance to some local flora. And while I was doing this I looked up and saw a shooting star…that stopped in place in a constellation directly in front of me.
Now…I’m not one to go with flights of fantasy but this was a singularly surprising occurrence. The shooting star took a 15 degree down angle falling thru the sky. It was a good distance.
I was fully awake due to having gotten up to investigate the sounds and the nature of the cold air and my “watering”.
I had not imbibed any alcoholic beverages or other substance that could tend to alter perceptions.
I quickly formulated two possibilities to explain what I observed.
Now, my rational mind explains the phenomenon this way. A falling star fell thru the path of an existing constellation and I fixed on the star (which was brighter) as the falling star continued past that point, while my eye did not.
The other possibility?
C’mon…I’m in freakin’ Roswell! You do the math, Einstein!

No comments: