Thursday, October 2, 2014

04-11-11 Monday, Monday. Can’t trust that day.

04-11-11
Monday, Monday. Can’t trust that day.
28.1 Miles
Woke and packed the tent in the strong yet warm winds. Wrote in the car for an hour of so catching up on the last few days. Headed to Batesville to see if any messages were in Internet-land for me. Was a bit relieved that The Sunday & Monday sever storm warnings that the Weather Channel had predicted had apparently passed us by.
Got to McInternet just before noon and hooked up to the net. Posted my writings, made another pitch for funds as I’m still under $50 total to move thru this week (Or anywhere at all).
Noticed ominous looking clouds around 1pm coming from the south. Checked the Weather channel - Severe weather warning - Tornado warning between 3pm & 5pm.
We ride it out in the McInternet parking lot.
I disconnect during the storm and reconnect after it passes. Weather Channel says rain possibilities until Midnight. I mke plans to sleep in a Love’s truck stop all night because it will be safer and warmer than pitching a tent in this weather. The next 4 days are supposed to be fine!
I push back with Kickstarter, saying I need to raise funds for the Journey, not the Publishing. Without the Journey, there is no publishing. They say “Go for it” and give guidelines & suggestions for incentivizing the rewards for donations. I come up with a few ideas but turn my thoughts to getting thru the night.
I get to Loves Truck Stop just before 10 pm. I used the bathroom walk Mischa and get on the internet to while away the hours. I remember I have newflix. I try to watch Murder By Decree, which is fine but every half hour or so, it re-buffers. I get a third of the way thru in about 3 hours and start to nod off. I disconnect from the net and prepare to try to sleep. Cop cars are parking near me on a frequent basis, but no one rouses me. Little do they realize that beneath this guise of an old guy is a flagrant radical hippie type! (Attica! Attica!) It’s just as well. I really need to stay here tonight. I discover that a whole squad of them are watching TV in the Subway Lobby of the Truck Stop. (I’ve never felt so safe!)
Just as I’m ready to settle in, Mischa (who has gotten Loads of sleep time in) gets her second wind and wants to play. I try tugga toys, I try finger bite…it’s walkies…at 3 am.
I get her headed back to the car just as the squad of cops all seem to take off. Either their shift was just beginning or ending - not sure.
I lean over in my broken drivers seat and try to get some sleep. I come to in a half daze a couple of times and then - it’s 6am. I’m going to finish typing this up and find a free campsite - put the tent up. Put Mischa & I in it and sleep.
Maybe for a whole day (and night). I worked for it, I think I deserve it. (Bloody, Monday!)
Thank goodness it’s finally over.

No comments: