Thursday, October 2, 2014

05-16-11 Rock 'n Roll never forgets

05-16-11


212.7 miles

Met Carol Meyers who had been in the room next to mine at the Motel 6. She befriended Mischa and we began a conversation. She lived in Mesa, Az, but grew up in Michigan and was on here way there to see Bob Segar with some of her old High School friends. She showed me places in Michigan I might want to see on a large map. I asked If I could interview her and she was checking out but agreed to meet at an Ihop and we did the interview there.
I found a Goodwill  across the street and found a heater like the one I’d used in Florala for only 11.99 new in the box. And it worked! I bought it!
Drove off to see George Washington Carver National Museum. A lot I had seen in Tuskegee, but some very interesting presentations and reproductions of class rooms he was in as a child and as a teacher. This was near the town of Diamond.
Headed towards Springfield for the possibility of meeting two friends from an old community website I’d been part of several years back “Jimmy Vincent Forums” “melanie” and her daughter “Callie” Along the way I used gas buddy to find cheap gas in a place called Republic, Mo. All the gas stations around were selling at about $3.75 ave, but in Republic finding gas @ $3.69 was easy.
On to Springfield. Passed by the town on the south loop and never heard back from my JV.com friends so I continues to the campsite I’d picked for the night - Montauk up near Licking or Salem, Mo. As I headed east I drove through rolling undulating hills of flagstone bedrock. At times I felt like a sailor in stormy seas riding the troughs between sets of waves; or that I’d found some ancient civilizations version of a roller coaster. I realized this may have been created by North America’s most volatile earthquake fault - The New Madrid. Everyone talks about California’s faults, but Missouri has it’s own. And Tornados too! I follow the 60 to the 63 and then winding roads with names like O and VV and Yy and B and follow no alphabetical order (at least not is I could observe) I finally get there and it’s a large beautiful resort like place with cabins and  a lodge and rv and tent camping .  I decide to take a basic site (no electricity) for two nights. The day is sunny and warm and I pick my campsite and find that I can get internet at the lodge. 

No comments: