Thursday, October 2, 2014

06-13-11 maybe it’s just a change of climate..um-humm

06-13-11

And of course this is why I’m so concerned
And I come back to see the stars misplaced
And the smell of a world that has burned
(yeah well, maybe it’s just a change of climate..um-humm )

38 miles

I wake late. It must be 8am (7am my body time)
I’m not yet ready to get going. Not sure which way to go.
I’m over half way thru the state and I’m down at least $35 more than I had intended to spend  my first night in North Dakota.. But I’d be a real fool if I died in severe weather when the safety of a motel was close by. Unfortunately the average “low” price in Bismarck was $71 dollars. So when the only real low price came up on Kayak, it was still in the $40’s (before tax).
Looking outside I saw the day saw sunny and blue skies with an abundance of white puffy clouds mocked last nights drama. “Oh…we were just foolin’” the clouds seem to chide.
After loading the car I go to find internet access. I’m between reception for McD’s, Schlotzky’s, Arby’s and Perkins (which has the name “surfintown”. Being a good California son I select that source. I have to drive over to that parking lot to finally get even slow access. At the Perkins parking lot Mischa suddenly gets antsy. I take her out for a little walk to relieve herself, as I’m sure this is what she’s hinting at. We walk around a bit and nothing is happening. She walks near a car bumper and hesitates before moving on. I look down and see a penny. By now you know what that signifies to me on this trip. But next to it are two quarters! What could this portend? (I’m .51 cents richer, that’s what!)

I look at our options. Continue east and be thru to Fargo in a couple of days and just hang out near the border waiting to cross like it’s Check Point Charlie? [ This is a “Cold War” reference for you youngsters - Google it!]
No. there’s not a lot of camping options in my budget that I couldn’t find staying in Bismarck.
Stay here? Same issue, budget…I’ve got to compensate.
Go back west? To New Salem? I think about how bad that storm looked last night and that another storm is coming from the west in a day or so. But I also think  “Lightning seldom strikes twice in the same place” …in the same week I rationalize. I also know this is a fallacy. Lightning can strike multiple times in the same place…but usually when that happens it’s in the same time frame.
So I decide to go back to New Salem. $5 for the first night and 3 each succeeding night. My biggest concerns is the parking area. It’s grass and was already a little muddy, last nights deluge can’t have made it better.
But I decide to go anyway. 36 miles or so backwards and (according to The Weather Channel App) it’s worst day of the week will be tomorrow with that storm coming from Washington and Oregon with a 60 % chance of rain. I’ll take it!
I stop at “Dan’s Supermarket” before heading out to get a few supplies and cash for the campsite (New Salem doesn’t have any place that gives cash back on debit purchases. They have ATM machines, but I have an aversion to giving away $2.00 per ATM transaction on principal..
I get to the site and even the person’s trailer that was there yesterday is now gone. There is a family with a poptop van, but they don’t stay.
I set up tent in mild warmth and enjoy the familiarity of the routine. There is a picnic shelter with electricity plugs. They work and I see the next few days spent here will be productive in catching up with past posting. A quick drive up to the gas stations by the interstate and I will be able to access the internet and post, catch up and enjoy the pleasure of meaningless  repartee with friends across the land. I hope the only bad day of rain will be tomorrow and that it is only passing and intermittent in nature.
I’m washing out dirty dishes in preparation for dinner when I hear voices coming towards me.
Four young hikers are coming down the road to the came in high spirits. Mischa takes exception to this and starts barking at them. I stop the washing process and grab her as they pass by. We exchange a few pleasantries and they continues past me towards the other shelter to set up their own campsite. We’re the only people here, why not use the facilities?!
Another couple drive up in a camper truck and explore the possibilities. They decide not to stay.
I’m trying to cook a package meal of chicken Broccoli with my little alcohol stove I was given in Louisiana. It almost works to boil water. Patience and perseverance  is the key. I got to use the bathroom and on returning decide to talk to my fellow campers about maybe interviewing them for the Journey posts. They are all from Bismarck, but now live other places. They have decided to explore their state from the Montana border to Bismarck on foot. They started June 3rd and are 36 miles from the end. They did 20 miles today so they may have two more days ahead of them.
I mention  a NPR program I heard yesterday discussing the differences  and divisions between Western North Dakotans and Eastern North Dakotans. They know that program. They suggested it an were supposed to be on it, but this trip precluded their inclusion. They have a blog called “The Blank Rectangle” (named after a quote by North Dakotan Eric Severied). They are four individuals, three guys and a girl, traveling the roads less taken…even by North Dakotans.
We exchange information about our journeys and say goodnight, though the sun is still shining for a good while more.
I’m hoping to catch them tomorrow for a group interview before they take off again. And maybe they can help me with my Kickstarter interview.
I  decide to go over tonight to see if they are up for the interview tonight. They are. It’s a fun and interesting session and we talk till the camera shuts off. I make my goodbyes and hope to see them in the morning and get them to shoot my Kickstarter interview and finally get that on the way. Maybe that’s what the found .51 cents is about. Or maybe it was just the good fortune of coming back to this campsite and running across this rare group of adventurers.

No comments: