Thursday, October 2, 2014

04-21-11 -Bad Moon on the Rise

04-21-11
There’s a Bad Moon on the Rise
90 miles
The day started sunny and promising. A near full moon could still be seen low in the sky.
We left Spadra heading west towards the border nearer, ever nearer to Ft. Smith.
I pass by Ozark planning, again, to go to Devil’s Den state park because they have class “D” camping which will cost me only $13/day.
On the map I see a place closer to I-40 called Shores park up about 15 miles from the 40 along the 215 north of a town called Mulberry. The price would be even a little less…and hot showers!
As I exit the off ramp, I see a sign for a camp south called Vine Prairie. Like Spadra, it is closer to town and an Army Corps site. I check it out.
It’s very pretty, across a bridge overlooking the Ozark River. But this place is nearly deserted. I ask the person in the only trailer in the park if she is the park host.
“Not yet. We’ve applied and are waiting to hear back.” She said. We just got here. Our house just got hit by the tornado that went through a few days ago”.
She’s not sure as to which rate I would pay ($8 or 16) or whom to pay it to. I look over the potential spots for a place to set up camp and find B13 to be the most likely as it is well sheltered with trees on the end of the bluff and a little further away from the edge. The skies don’t look friendly and I’m not happy with the “B-13” like “Be Unlucky” symmetry, not that I’m superstitions…but, why temp fate?
I decide to go back to the town of Mulberry (Hey, Andy! How’s Opie?) to see if I can get any wifi there. If not, I may continue west.
I pick a good spot and find I can get on either the library or the fire departments wifi…just as the storm hits. I make a few video captures of the deluge and try to post them, but the wifi’s keep going out alternating between the two.
I wait out the storm and try to find the fire department as I move closer to the library hoping getting closer to either signal will increase my chances of staying on the internet.
I go into the Library and talk to the librarian about the signal and location of the Fire Department. (It’s right across the street.) She’s surprised I got on the library connection, as all their systems are down. I ask her about the town. Is it dying or coming back? She says that the town was on hard times a few years back. Around 2009, but there are signs of businesses making a comeback. A few new businesses have just opened up - she refers me to a flyer for a lunch shop that just opened yesterday. And she says the city just elected a new mayor. “He’s a real go-getter!” she emphasized.
I leave to check out some of the places she had mentioned nearby, as the storm has let up.
Upon returning to access the library, I show strong signal but can’t get connected even though I’m in the parking lot.
I move back to the main street and pick up the Fire Department again. And then the next storm hits making the earlier on look like drizzle.
I decide to head back to Vine Prairie campsite to ride it out there, but am turned back because the water on the road is getting high. I go back to town and rain is pouring out of gutters on a house like it was coming out of a hydrant! I go to the fire department (mainly because I need to find a restroom and the library is now closed) and walk around the building trying to find someone inside. The front door was locked (it’s about 5:30 pm) and going around to the back my feet get soaked in the rain runoff though I’m protected by the overhang. I knock on the back door and just as I’m about to walk off an woman opens the door and says she’s just the cleaning woman - why, I’m not sure, but I guess it was to cut off any discussion about gaining shelter. I ask if she knows of any public restrooms nearby. “Dollar General has one. They’re down the main street, take a left at the four-way stop; it’ll be up a block on the right!”.
I thank her and trundle back thru the rising puddle that soaks my feet again and head to the Dollar General.
Just in time to avoid a embarrassing scene of an older gent relieving himself in the rain. (and this very morning I woke up with the lyrics to Jerry Jeff Walker’s “Pissing in the Wind” in my head.)
The rain has let up to just occasional drops as I leave from the DG parking lot and I decide to drive back to Ozark where I know they have a Love’s truck stop. I want reliable internet and perhaps Loves will be “home” again for the night.
It’s a nerve wracking 12 mile drive east as I’m heading uphill into the path of the storm I just endured.
I skirt the outer edges of it and make it to Ozark and Loves. The vibe of this Loves is very different. Accessing the internet, for one, is very different. This one charges access! Unheard of!
Luckily, there is a McInternet across the way. I go there and try to find couch surfing opportunities for the next few days. Nothing looks promising. The weather forecast for the rest of tonight looks survivable, but I know I’m sleeping in my car…if sleeping is to be had.
Tomorrow is bleak. I either need to find a cheap hotel; get a couch surfing place or find a homeless shelter.
Being outdoors after 3pm tomorrow thru Saturday noon is not a comfortable prospect.
I decide to drive back to Vine Prairie for tonight as the rain looks to be minor the rest of the night and the morning is supposed to be even sunny, so I can get an early start on where I’m going to find to stay tomorrow night - and that’s looking a lot like Ft. Smith.
The 12 miles back to the Mulberry exit are harrowing as a misty fog is over the highway. I’m heading downhill most of the time and 60 is about as fast as I’m comfortable driving while the few vehicles briefly behind me are very comfortable doing 70-75!
I wind my way back to Vine Prairie with water still high on the road in spots and pull in near the restroom area, not wanting to get too close to the bluff side.
It’s around 10:30pm and the potential camp hosts appear to be asleep, so I plan to bed down and square up with them in the morning.
I give Mischa a little walk time and then settle ourselves in for a night of what rest we can find.
As usual Mischa is right on top of it, as I lag behind.
I awake to find a bright morning sun. Afternoon sun if there is anything to judge by it’s brightness. Have I slept late?
But this sun is TOO bright. And I realize I have a spotlight trained on me.
Is it the camp host wondering what I’m doing there?
Is it a park ranger, looking for my permit or payment?
I say “Hello?!” but get no reply.
Eventually, the Police Officer makes his presence know.
“Hello sir, do you have Identification?”
He informs me that my car plates are not coming up as a registered vehicle. This is just shy of midnight.
I start telling my life story like the ancient mariner. I’m perplexed when he asks me if this was perhaps a salvaged vehicle? Was it?
No. I had a valid registration and drivers license. Everything legit!
He’d misread my license plate number; mistaking an “O” for a “0” (zero)
Those pesky California License plates!
Anyway, I was left to go back to my activities and resume my slumber.
Yeah….
That was three hours ago.

No comments: