Thursday, October 2, 2014

06-08-11 We gotta get out of this place

06-08-11
We gotta get out of this place
If it’s the last thing we ever do
100.8 miles
Miles City to Glendive
I vacillate between staying and going.
I have electricity and wifi and it’s going to rain either place.
But it’s that much closer to the border to go to Glendive and I may be able to save some of my dwindling money by finding a cheaper place there.
I go online and check the rates of the campgrounds I can find in Glendive. I find all but one are cheaper than the $18/day I’m paying now. I’m sure I should have packed up earlier, but I start breaking camp just after noon and leave there (after a quick shower and shave) just after 1pm. It’s about 80 miles to glendive and we head out in cloudy but dry conditions. I get gas before I leave which is backtracking but it’s bound to be cheaper then in Glendive.
As I drive along the 94 Fwy, I see the Yellowstone River which is at flood levels at many places along it’s course and threatening cities for miles. Most of the towns along the 94 are situated on the river course. It is a mighty wide and long flow and I’m heading to a town that crosses it many times.
I follow the Garmin to one of the campsites and eventually all three. I go with the cheapest. Two reasons. Primarily, it’s $10/day. And second - it has wifi in the price. I also negotiated $35 for 4 days instead of $40. I wrote a check for that amount with only $10 available, but a friend had told me he could but in enough to cover the shortfall on Friday. I hope the camp people don’t bank at me bank. I need the float.
With this I’m down to about $10 still available.
An d it’s starting to get to me.
I set up the tent and the rain starts almost as soon as I get in the tent.
Of course it does.
Should I expect more that 3 days of sunshine in a row at any time this year?
(Damn right I should!)
But when?
A friend said a few months ago that it rains where ever I go and that I should leave the country.
Like that would help me. If it were true, would it be my patriotic duty?
Trapeze has a song called Black Cloud - “Everywhere I go- Black Cloud Following me!”
Yeah…it feels like that.
I’m listening to the rain on the tent and the train yard that is non-stop 24/7 noise. Horns, engines, coupling/uncoupling cars and the occasional company truck.
A lyric from Deep Purple comes into my mind as I lie on my air mattress.
“But you spend your money and lie in bed forgotten
And you wonder what you did it for
No one came from miles around
And said man who's he?”
Yeah. Who IS he?
The inscrutable open-book…closes for the evening.

No comments: