Friday, October 3, 2014

10-28-11 - The Morning Overature - The Day

- The Morning Overature -
For the last two mornings I've begun my day waking up in the parking lot of the Stater Brothers as Standard & McFadden in Santa Ana.
Activity starts slowly around 5:30 am nad begins to pop into a kinetic hive by 6:15.
A sweeper truck starts doing crazy patterens in the parking lot around the cars parked dashing in on the rapidly dwindling open spaces. seizing the open ground, trying for every last speck of stray rubbish.
Workers in white trucks with names on the side fill their large coolers of water for the day. Vehicles of every type zoom into open slots as their drivers stop for a morning snack at the 7-11.
Trucks with pool supplies; pickups with racks with PVC pipes on top; vans; economy cars; long beds. Their drivers are as vairied as their vehicles.
Some rush in and back with their purchases; others linger on the corner in conversations of the brotherhood of the working. Greetings to strangers are easily given. We all share "This" in common. This morning. This parking lot.
It is enough to find a bond in.
Life has begun again.
People in uniforms. People in shorts or painters pants. People in office clothers.
Men.
Women.
All ages, sizes ethnicities.
And the sun starts to lighten the sky with it's new promise.
- The Day -
I prep the car for the day's runs. I put Mischa in the back onthe passenger side on her bed. The front seat and seat behind me are open for delivery items.
I call in for my work assignment just before the assigned 7:30 am time.
No assignment.
Answer the phone if they call.
If I don't hear back from them by 9:15 am call them back.
I'm not thrilled by this. It's 7:35am and I'm ready to work NOW!
If I start at 9:15 am and they send me to...POMONA...my work day will be Short!
IF I get to work today at all.
I just have to hope they call sooner than 9:15am
- Disappointment -
No work today.
"Call back around 2pm and we'll set you up for tomorrow." "You can go about your day"
I have no other "day" to go about.
A wasted day
To preserve gas, I should stay put, but I drive to Tustin to use the library, look at some options and take Mischa to a park.
Then...sometime around 2 pm...life might release the "pause" button and...

No comments: