Thursday, October 2, 2014

06-17-11 Pump it Up

06-17-11
210.4 Miles
Left New Salem with much affection an gratitude for the stay. Tried to start my Kickstarter project (finally!) found out that Amazon (who is handling pledge amount, should the funding be successful) requires bank verification. Through this I learned that a camping fee from back in April had just bounced at the back I was referring Amazon to because my camping fee was $5 over what my balance (in June) was. Miscalculation on my part. (That’s why I hate paying camping fees by check, sometimes they don’t process the check for months after the event) This lead me to contacting Paypal to try to get money moved over to cover the overdraft. (One thing leads to another. Several long phone calls ate up a lot of my remaining minutes. Got a call from my Cousin Laura and then my phone went dead.. Ran out of time. Drove east to Bismarck looking for gas and a Walmart. Found the Garmin out of date again, but found a supermarket that was having one of those outside cooking sales. I got a Brot, chicken sandwich, chips and soda for about $5.50. Mischa was happy, the McD’s I parked next to was chagrined at losing my patronage (though I did steal their internet…again.) Found the Walmart and updated my calling minutes. (Reachable again!) Called my cousin back to explain what happened.
On to Jamestown. A;long the way there were rain storms. I tried to let them move ahead of me and pulled off the highway to get a little rest. Briefly closed my eyes with the map in my lap. Woke to a Sheriff’s car right next to me. I didn’t even hear him. He looked at me and said “Just taking a rest”. I said “yeah” and he nodded and took off. Suddenly I was wide awake!
In Jamestown I got cheaper gas for the drive to Valley City where I would stay for the night. I also stopped at the Walmart there because I wanted to see about returning the air mattress I bought in Soiux Falls for another one under their return in 90 policy as it wasn’t holding air for more that maybe 3-6 hours. I’d expected firmness for like 24 hours (without calling a doctor…) Anyway, as I produce my receipt to the returns clerk she thumbs back in the direction of a small printed sigh that says “Air mattresses will be exchanged only and within 15 days of purchase”. No one told me that when I bought the thing! I’d been given the standard “return anything within 90 days with the receipt. Oh, well. Find the leak or buy another. But not now…and not from that store. I’ve got to show Some umbrage!
I drive to Valley city. It’s a quaint little town. Visitors center is closed when I get there but there is a bridge across a river across the street; an railroad car outside the building and it’s very picturesque. I look for and find the “Tourist Park” which has camping right on main streeet. The website lists the tent camping at $7 got the sign at the park says $10. And the tent camping is a grass area on the far side of the lot. No tables; no firepits/grills, no water or electricity. I don’t even know it they had a bathroom!
I investigate the Army Corp of Engineers campsites 12 miles away on Lake Ashtabulah. There are arrays of wind generators along the way I get to the campsite and - It’s full” I am told that tow other sites along the lake “May” have some openings. But I’m also told that tent camping is $22, the same as if I had an RV! Too rich for my blood. I go back to the tourist park and their $10 fee. It’s only for the night as I drive back to twon storm walls have amassed to the west and it’s a race to get tot the park and get the tent up. But in front of me are two different veicles that feel the necessity to drive at least 5 mph the posted speed limit.
I get to the park and it’s already started to rain. Light drizzle, but it’s still wet. I get the tent up and loaded in again just as the big deluge begins. (I lucked out this time) the storm has been moving quickly east and soon there is sunlight and the rain is light, all the thunderclaps distant to the east of me.
It’s already 8 pm and I do a little with my laptop until the battery light starts flashing. That’s it for this day
Goodnight.

No comments: