Thursday, October 2, 2014

04 -18-11 - Like a thief in the night

04 -18-11
Like a thief in the night
215.7
Lake Chicot - Little Rock - Morrilton - Petit Jean SP
I leave Lake Chicot State P ark late around 10 am. I head out and join the big freeway leading up to Little Rock - Hwy 65.
I’m a bit surprised, it seems more like a divided two-lane than a major highway. I keep going thru towns main streets. It’s not until just outside of Pine Bluff a true Freeway begins. And it’s a smooth drive to Little Rock.
As I get to Little Rock ,the state map I received from the visitors center is inadequate to find my bearings. I find the Clinton Presidential Library by pure luck. There are two exhibits currently a Dr. Suess and a Revolution and the Presidency exhibit, but I (as usual) can’t afford the luxury and have to worry about Mischa.
My other “Must see” is the Central High School location. The materials the state hand out seem to obscure it’s location. I take the street address and the state map and the visitors guide to museums and figure how to get there from the Clinton Library downtown. It’s not as far “off the map” as it seems from the brochures.
I’m off or 3rd near the downtown area. I take that to one street past Broadway (Broadway is impossible to make a left had turn from and illegal to do so in just 20 minutes) I make a left easily at the next corner and take that south over the 630 to a dead end. I though I’d be lead back on to the 630 east, but there was a right turn available to me. I took it and continued straight until I came upon Daisy Bates Dr.
Turning right (I didn’t really know which way to go but figured it was west of downtown for some reason. I drive until I was beginning to think I’d gone the wrong way when I ran into a traffic jam. Some school was letting out and parents were picking up their kids and…School! THAT School. Suddenly it was right in front of me! A lady cop directing traffic as I tried to get a few snaps as my camera came to life. I turned the corner and into the Visitors center. I parked. Too a few more snaps and then went in for a brief view of the “Museum”. It is quite a remarkable place and sadly only open for the last 18 or so years (1993). The Gas Station acroos the street was it’s original location. I’m helped by a young enthusiastic State Parks employee. I’m about to leave when I get the idea of interviewing the aides for my blog and maybe the Delta Bohemian (if they’re interested). It’s really great, the Parks rep refers to his colleague who is the interpretive host I presume. I find out that with all his knowledge about the school’s history, he has insider information - He’s a current Junior at Central High School! (Hope for the future).
I drive out of town on the 630 to the 40 and cross the Arkansas River for the first (of many) times. It is an awesome beautiful thing. I’m also thinking of the listings of Bayous in the state and realizing that Arkansas is part of the Louisianna Purchase. It reminds me of my research on the song “Old Cotton fields back home” where the line “It was down in Louisianna just about a mile from Texarkana” had not made since to me until I did the research. At one point in time you could have had a cotton field in Lousianna just about a mile from what would become “Texarkana”. A song told in the past tense.
Anyway, I’m driving westerly, glad I’ve gotten Little Rock out of the way today as it is already hot and humid and tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 90’s (only mid 80’s today!)
I goe thru Coway and up o Morrilton stopping now and then to check mail, post and try to figure how far I want to go today as the day is growing long and dark and storms are due tomorrow.
It’s dark and I head up to Petit Jean State Park for the night. It’s a long and winding road up and up in the dark. Signs keep saying “Petit Jean State Park”…but is seldom is.
About 8:4 5 we get there and the visitor center is (of course) closed. It’s listed that I can camp ant any site that says “available” and then I can pay by 8 am. I can’t find what the rates are for the different Campsites. I see that the “A” camp is populated and near a lake and the sounds of a waterfall are nearby at the visitor center.
I almost take a spot there, but I think of the $18 - 20 cost and look for another spot. I got to their “D” loop figuring it is their lowest rate spot. No one is there.
I set up the tent and put just the most basic items in. I just need to sleep for the night.
6am comes fast. There have been two motorists thru the night who have come into the loop - mainly to use the restrooms and leave.
I haven’t used water or electricity or showers.
I leave too.
The visitors center is closed. No way to pay.
I leave…like a thief in the morning
(I left them my tent mallet it seems - Fair exchange.)

No comments: