Thursday, October 2, 2014

05-13-11 - And the wind began to howl

05-13-11
Two riders were approaching
And the wind began to howl
0 miles
Stayed in the tent most all day. Raging winds (and howling beasts) kept collapsing the left side of the tent in on us and a cold wind was our guest most of the day. I listened to an audio book (the conclusion of Jim Butcher’s “Fool Moon”) And started another of his books (Summer Knight) until the battery started to die on the net book. The Sheriff made two passes thru the park (making me feel good that, if a tornado were approaching, they might let me know). And two fishermen came by to fill their water containers. And at the same time…”Pignose” returned! I was glad to see him but he was much more standoffish this time. He readily accepted the food I put out for him but then retreated down the road. I guess he knows what he’s doing and how to survive, but I wish he’d quit running off. We’ll see what tonight and tomorrow brings.
Basically my plan is to ride today out and keep low and warm from the winds and hope tomorrow is a better day. I’d contemplated tagging this post with Jeff Beck’s “Ain’t Superstitious”, but I didn’t want to temp fate.
I had thought of using the lines “this is a mean old world we live in , but I ain’t gonna let it stop me now” , but I just wasn’t feelin’ it. Some landscapers came by earlier in the day and sprayed green stuff all over the grounds and parking spots. I felt comfort that the winds didn’t deter them (no tornado watch evident) but wondered about the stuff they were spraying (they didn’t wear masks so that sort of made me feel a little more secure.)
Today is one of “Getting through it”.
Hopefully we will.
More tomorrow.
Hopefully.
Addendum - around 7pm “Pignose” came back and the weather got cold and stormy so he was more than willing to join us in the tent for shelter thru the night. I found a penny right in front of my tent flap. No idea how it got there…but it was there. I had the feeling it was meant for the dogs’ future. A Home. A loving home. That was my thought and wish.
Tomorrow…

No comments: