Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chapter 1: Vegas, man! Where else?

01-16-11

“To that point out there where all roads vanish;
I'm going to Vegas, man! Where else?!”


“Until one is truly committed, there is a chance to draw back…”

Breakfast with the Beh’s Dick has made some wonderful scrambled eggs. They overfed me again!
They are looking at my future prospects, not my waistline! Or it’s just that they are exceptionally kind.
Before they leave for church and I leave for the road, I take their picture. They give me a key to their house.
What people are these? I’m overwhelmed and grateful. Thought it may well be a year or more before I have the occasion to use that key again. It is the gesture that will always - always stay in my heart. I lock up their house and leave for Las Vegas to start this thing, before fear or common sense deters my resolve.
But before I can set my mind to the road I have a few local friends to see before I go.
Paul Brewer is an illustrator and a High School  friend. We talk about music, art, politics, spirituality and my journey. Paul is a vibrantly creative soul. He and his wife write and illustrate award winning children’s books. He’s a Zappa fanatic.
Joel Broude I’ve known since we met at writing classes at Orange Coast College. We’ve stayed in touch loosely over the years. I’ve seen him marry his sweetheart, Nora and followed they growth of their son Eric though his recent college graduation. Joel is concerned and chastises me. He says I’ve never developed a healthy relationship with money. As Dan Bern would say - “Can’t argue”. 
He gives me more than I think he should for someone who doesn’t believe in what I’m attempting . And not at all in any of the donation categories I’ve outlined in my benefactor levels.  He’s either given way too much or a bit too little. But he says “This is all!”.  I hope to change his mind - not so much about his donation level or even his assessment of my respect for money - but that what I’m doing …is…it’s own calling. Something I have to do . To test myself. To measure myself (and my faith in my fellow man/woman). Something indescribable will generate from this path. And As I take their picture and their friendship with me I head out on the road…to find out.
I drive up the 405 to the 5 to the 55 (passing by my friend Paul) up to the 210 (past my friends the Hydeman’s)  and then on past  Barstow and Blyth and on and on until…10:20 pm.
Nevada!
The first week begins!
I don’t recognize Las Vegas. What happened to stateline? Vegas now joins it at the border. What used to be the end  of the Strip area is now way  up the road ! I get off the freeway and head up the route that will take me to Red Rocks Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Park. I stop for gas and am delighted to see the price. $2.99!  When I last got gas in California $3.23 was the best I could find! Finally leaving the developed are of Charlston Blvd. (When did all of this development  happen?) I drive past tract homes for only two miles (2!) before I find the entrance to the camping area. As I drive in , burros are sauntering ahead of me. Tow of them get the hint and start to canter away…but the last one is still mosey-ing. My tire spit’s a rock up and that gets his attention. He soon catches up with the others.
 [my joke: They are the famous "Burros of  Land Management"]
I pull in to the campsite area and read the sign. Honor pay station. I’m not sure exactly how this system works but I get a spot, put the tent up - settle Mischa in and then fill out the envelope per instructions and am ready to put it in the deposit slot, only,  I have a one, a ten, and a couple of twenties - the amount is  $15.  I don’t want to lose $5  and I don’t want to get booted for not paying the full amount. I ask a nearby camper if they can break a $20. He can’t, but he has $4. “Here, take it.”
I’m good for it, I say.  I’ll get change for you first thing in the morning! I appreciate it.
I’m moved by the trust and think I’m off to a good start. I take what “signs” I can. This will be even more tomorrow.
But that’s another day.
Time for sleep - Nevada Week / week one of the journey had begun!

No comments: